Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cheddar and Parsnip Soup





Pic related. I made it.

And so, after a long hiatus (the author forgot his password) the great saga of the SaM cookthrough blog begins again.

Okay, really, I did forget it. Sorry. Also, busy with school and all that jazz. But! 'Tis sunday, and I'm feeling like blogging. So we go.

Two weeks ago I made cheddar and parsnip soup for my Dad and my stepmother Nikki, and it was a HUGE hit. Well, maybe not that huge. Anna (stepsister) hated it. Verbatim, "Eww! What the hell!"

It went down the drain almost immediately. Gotta make a mental note to not serve her parsnips and to apologize to my poor mother for putting her through years of the exact same thing with squash, stew, carrots, and various gourds. Sorry, mom.

It was pretty easy to make, as soups go. No big hassle with double-boilers or constant whisking or anything like that. All one needs is the patience to grate the 34,689 pounds of cheddar cheese that the recipie calls for. Ugh. The cookbook lists 8 potatoes to be chopped along with the parsnips but I had to forgo those due to the setback of not having any potatoes. Minor problem. I managed fine without 'em.

Everything went pretty well during the cooking process, except for one thing...

After the soup has been heated, the cheese has been melted, and the vegetables chopped, it's supposed to be run through a food processor at high speed to blend everything together. I put serving into the food processor, turned it on high speed, and realized that I had forgotten to put the safety lid on to the food chute.



I put another serving in and tried again with the safety lid on. Much better.

The soup turned out great, and I'd gladly make it again for a party. I'd recommend grating some extra cheese and sprinkling it on the top of the soup for a good melted flavor. Also goes well with yoghurt or sour cream.

I can't find the recipie on the internet, but I will post in in my next installment. Until next time,

O'Malley

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love food processor (and blender) soups. Love the illustration.
    -- miloandnutella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I've done that before--but with a blender.

    ReplyDelete